History of Hobsons
The Hobson Stores was built in 1911 for Mr. Walter O. Hobson.
The building has the words ‘The Hobson Stores” emblazed across the front and was the first soft goods store in Sandringham.
Here the customers could have a large range of dress materials, manchester, haberdashery and linen goods.
In 1922 The Hobson Stores was purchased by the Straw family to compliment their other two shops.
Straw’s was a pleasant place to shop and even a spot where:
“One could pass the time of day”
In 1935 Straws relocated and The Hobson Stores was to see many changes of proprietors over the years, divided into a large and small shop.
n the 1940s it was occupied by Mr.G.Bell, a carpet retailer and later by the Ausonia pizza restaurant.
The smaller shop was a children’s educational bookshop.
In 1993, the building was renovated into one.
The last TWELVE years “The Hobson Stores” has been developed into a cozy pub serving great food with an exotic twist in a relaxing atmosphere by the Watson family.
“One can now pass the time of night”